Recipes... prunes with panache...
Chocolate & Prune Cake
Preparation time: 15 + 50 cooking minutes
250g pitted prunes, roughly chopped
1/2 cup port
300g good-quality dark chocolate,
160g butter, chopped
4 free-range eggs, separated
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 cup premium Dutch cocoa, plus
1 tbs extra
1 cup almond meal
1 cup caster sugar
2 tbs port
3/4 cup thickened cream
100g pitted Australian grown prunes, quartered
1. Place prunes and port into a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool.
2. Preheat oven to 160°c. grease
And line a 22cm cake pan with baking paper.
3. place chocolate and butter into
a heatproof bowl and place over
A saucepan of simmering water, ensuring the base doesn’t touch the water. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove bowl from pan and set aside.
4. Using electric beaters, beat egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Stir in chocolate mixture. Sift flour and cocoa together over mixture. Add almond meal and stir until combined. Gently fold in prune mixture.
5. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. fold into flour mixture, in
2 batches. Pour mixture into the pan and smooth top. Bake for 40 minutes or until top of cake feels firm. Completely cool cake in pan.
6. To make the caramel & prune sauce, stir sugar and port in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. cook for
10-15 minutes, swirling pan occasionally, or until golden. Stir in cream and prunes and set aside.
7. transfer cake to a serving plate
And dust with extra cocoa. Spoon over sauce and serve.
Recipe by Woolworths. Printed in Fresh Magazine 2019