Recipes... prunes with panache...
Dark chocolate, prune & ginger cake
Preparation time: 20 minutes
1 1/2 cups (300g) Australian prunes
1/2 cup (120g) unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups (430ml) water
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
1 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 1/4 cups (200g) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line with baking paper a 20cm x 20cm baking tray.
2. Chop the prunes into small pieces and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter with the sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, ginger, salt and water. Mix until smooth.
4. Add the flour and bicarb soda and mix until combined, then fold through the chopped prunes and chopped chocolate.
5. Pour into the prepared baking tray. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean when inserted in the middle.
6. Allow to cool, then turn out onto a board. Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.
Recipe developer: Becky Gilhespie