Recipes... prunes with panache...
Alpaca, Prune and Jerusalem Artichokes Tajine with a side of Red Quinoa, Prunes, Dates, Pistachios and Preserved Lemon Dressing
Preparation time: 30 minutes
NB: Alpaca neck can be substituted for lamb neck
4 large alpaca neck rosettas (about 1kg)
1 red onion
4 cloves garlic
1/2 bunch oregano
200g jerusalem artichokes
150g Australian prunes
1lt chicken stock
150g red quinoa
100g Australian prunes
50 g dates
30g shelled pistachios
2 green shallots
1 preserved lemon
100ml extra virgin olive oil
1 juice of lemon
a good handful fresh roquette
Method for the Tajine
1. Heat a tajine base or a cast iron pot with a little vegetable oil.
2. Place in Alpaca and brown on both sides.
3. Roughly chop onion and garlic and add to tajine.
4. Add chicken stock and beer to the pot and place lid on.
5. Place in the oven at 160ç for 2 hours.
6. Remove from the oven and add prunes, artichokes and oregano leaves and return to the oven for 30 minutes.
7. Adjust seasoning as needed.
8. Add back to cast iron pan and serve with quinoa salad.
Method for the Salad
1. Boil quinoa in water till tender, approx 10 minutes. Stain and cool.
2. chop prunes, dates and shallots and add to quinoa with pistachios.
3. To make the dressing - remove the pulp and white pith from the lemon and discard.
4. Chop the zest finely and combine with lemon juice and olive oil and toss through quinoa.
Recipe owned by: The Australian Prune Industry Association @ausprunes
Recipe Created by: David Campbell, Wharf Rd Restaurant & Bar, Nowra & Hungry Duck, Berry @hungryduckberry
Dish styled by: Lisa Madigan @lisamadigan
Photographs by: Lean Timms @leantimms